Fellowship-trained Orthopedic Joint Replacement Surgeon
Dr. Langan graduated from Western Illinois University where he was an All-American in both football and soccer. He received his medical degree from University of Missouri-Kansas City where he served as President for the School of Medicine and was selected junior Alpha Omega Alpha Honor society and member of the Gold Humanism Honor Society. He followed with a residency in orthopedic surgery in Greenville, SC where he served as Chief Resident and received the American Orthopaedic Association Resident Leader award. He completed his fellowship in adult reconstruction at Southern Joint Replacement Institute in Nashville, TN.
Dr. Langan specializes in both anterior and posterior hip replacements as well as total and partial knee replacements.
He is a member of the American Orthopaedic Association and American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons.
Tennessee Orthopaedic Alliance 2017 – Present Orthopaedic Surgeon
Specializing in hip and knee replacements, anterior hip replacements, outpatient joints and arthroplasty revisions; highly skilled at general orthopaedic procedures.
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine 2007 – 2011 Doctor of Medicine
Western Illinois University 2000 – 2004 Major: Bachelor of Science
Minors: Chemistry and Psychology
POST GRADUATE EDUCATION
Southern Joint Replacement Institute 2016 – 2017 Adult Reconstruction Fellowship
Greenville Health System University Medical Center 2012 – 2016 Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
Greenville Health System University Medical Center 2011 – 2012 Orthopaedic Surgery Internship
LICENSURE & CERTIFICATION
ABOS Part I and II Board Certified 2019-Present
Tennessee Medical License 2016-Present
South Carolina Medical License 2013-2016
- Chief Resident Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Orthopaedic Association Resident Leader 2015
- Medical School:
- Junior AOA member
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- School of Medicine Class President
- Surgery Society President
- Four year Letterman for Football and Soccer
- Mid-Continent Conference Scholar Athlete of the Year 2004
- NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship Award and NCAA Leadership Conference
- Team Captain Soccer 2002, 2003
- Team Captain Football 2004
- Four time Academic All America
- Two-time First Team All America in Football
- NCAA Division I Football record for most points in a season
- NCAA Division I Football postseason record for most field goals in a game
- Division I Football Team MVP
- Division I two-time Soccer Team MVP
- Western Illinois University Athletic Hall of Fame
- Professional Societies:
- American Orthopaedic Association
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Shammas N, Dippel E, Lemke J, Langan J, Kapalis M, Sharis P, Gulzinski T, Gautam R. Aug 2004. Predictors of Elevated Brain Natriuretic Peptide in an Outpatient Cardiology Clinic. Cardiovascular Medicine. 2004. Oral Presentation presented at Cardiovascular Interventions and Practice Guidelines; Davenport, IA.
- Langan J, Gurich R, Sridhar, M, Jeray J, Tanner S, Porter S. Outcomes Using Compression Techniques with Minimal Screw Fixation for Bulk Allograft Reconstruction. 2015 Combined Meeting International Society of Limb Salvage and Musculoskeletal Tumor Society. Orlando, FL. 10/2015. Poster. Publication pending.
- Torres E, Lindmair J, Langan J, Burnikel B. Is Preoperative Nasal Povidone-Iodine as Efficient and Cost Effective as Standard MRSA Screening Protocol in Total Joint Arthroplasty? Journal of Arthroplasty, Sept 24 2015.
- Gurich R, Langan J, Teasdall R, Tanner S, Sanders J. Tourniquet Deflation Prior to Twenty Minutes in Upper Extremity Intravenous Regional Anesthesia. Hand Jan 2017.
- Association of Atypical Femoral Fractures with Bisphosphonate Use by Patients with Varus Hip Geometry. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery Nov 2014, 96:1905-1909.
- FLOW Investigators. A Trial of Wound Irrigation in the Initial Management of Open Fracture Wounds. New England Journal of Medicine. 2015 Oct 8. PubMed PMID: 26448371.
- Fixation using Alternative Implants for the Treatment of Hip fractures (FAITH) investigators. Fracture fixation in the operative management of hip fractures (FAITH): an international, multicenter, randomized controlled trial. Lancet 2017 Mar 2. PubMed PMID: 28262269.
- Bhandari M, Bulstra AEJ, Doornberg JN, Goslings C, Hendrickx LA, Jaarsma RL, et al. A Machine Learning Algorithm to Identify Patients with Tibial Shaft Fractures at Risk for Infection After Operative Treatment. The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery. 2021 Mar 17;103(6):532–40. PMID: 33394819 (Langan, Justin W-collaborator)
Risk stratification of individual patients who are prone to infection would allow surgeons to monitor high-risk patients more closely and intervene early when needed. This could reduce infection-related consequences such as increased health-care costs
Reoperation rates are high after surgery for hip fractures. We investigated the effect of a sliding hip screw versus cancellous screws on the risk of reoperation and other key outcomes.
Richard W Gurich Jr, Justin W Langan, Robert J Teasdall, Stephanie L Tanner, John L Sanders
Erick G Torres, Jill M Lindmair-Snell, Justin W Langan, Brian G Burnikel
AO Basics Course, Charlotte, NC 2012
AANA Arthroscopy Course, Chicago, Il 2013
ICJR Spring Hip and Knee, Charleston, SC 2014
ICJR Winter Hip and Knee Course, Vail, CO 2015
AOA Resident Leadership course, Providence, RI 2015
Miller Review Course, Denver, CO 2016
S&N Revision Masters Course, Cordova, TN 2016
ICJR Fellows Hip and Knee Course, Vail, CO 2016
AAOS, San Diego, CA 2017
Biomet Oxford Course, Salt Lake City, UT 2017
AAHKS, Dallas, TX 2017
Primary to Revision Techniques in Total Knee Arthroplasty, Raynham, MA 2017
ICJR Winter Hip and Knee Course, Vail, CO 2018
AAOS, New Orleans, LA 2018
Joint Arthroplasty Mountain Meeting, Park City, UT 2019
AAOS, Las Vegas, NV 2019
ICJR Winter Hip and Knee Course, Vail, CO 2020, 2022 & 2023